Saturday, January 28, 2006

Reflections

A halo of silver hair, and though wrinkly,
her face always beautiful with a smile.
She seems to glow like an angel.
Her aprons - always with a tissue handy-
warmth, food, order, love.

Her eyes glowing she tells me a secret,
(even if it is just about liking peanut butter),
as if it were one she would share only with me.
She takes my hand and gives me a gentle pat,
her hands curled, wrinkly, softer than velvet.

I learn of love and concern as I watch her
worrying about each she loves as they depart,
panicky at the sound of sirens,
smiles, hugs - a word for everyone,
no one left to feel lost in the crowd.

Stooping, a hug goodbye,
her cheek feathery soft against mine.
"the flowers are beautiful this year.."
stretching out the goodbye, waving,
we finally drive away.

Comforted, knowing I'll see her again.
She must be joyful now
knowing she left behind a legacy of love.
Resting, and waiting,
for me.

--mr

2 comments:

megan said...

beautiful. it is making me cry right now. email that to aaron so he can read it at the funeral on wednesday.

micquel said...

really, definitely tears in the eyes. kind of embarrasing becuase I'm at work right now. But it's really a beautiful poem.