Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Happy Birthday!


Two birthdays here this month. Seems like we've had cake or other treat almost every day (mainly because I have been on a baking kick, but I like to blame the birthdays and Stephen, who brought home skittles for everyone the other day). We finally finished off with Ammon's lemon meringue. Have any of you made this before? Involved recipe! I doubt I would take the trouble to make this more than once a year (it did turn out delicious though). Maybe we will have to try the jell-o version. Oh, and the recipe in Mom's book doesn't tell you when to add the butter or vinegar - appears I guessed right or it doesn't matter - and in the meringue directions it says to add soda, but I believe it meant the salt (guessed right again), so, heh, if any of you try this just call me and I'll share all my secrets (umm, if I remember, which is unlikely). Was this Nanette's recipe or one Mom had or did Megan add? Anyway, very good. Good thing I only made one because I don't think I would have stopped eating it if I didn't have to. I think I never tried it before because I love banana cream so much that when it was available I didn't try anything else. That may have to change....

Anyway, here are pictures of Ammon's hat I finished on his birthday about an hour before he got out of school.

[Do you recognize the yarn Megan? Same that I used on my Bubby, and still some left.]
He's so good about humoring me, wearing homemade items. Including a wonky sweater I made him.
The body is getting too short (o.k. - was always on the short side) and the arms are still really long (that's how he likes 'em), and when I commented that he and Adria hadn't worn their sweaters he wore his the next day. What a sweety, eh? I'm thinking, if he'll let me, I could shorten the arms for Tanner to wear (thankfully shorter, I wouldn't attempt longer I don't think).

2 comments:

megan said...

right on, love the hat. Do you have enough yarn leftover to make anything? Way to go on using it up!
Impressive that you made lemon meringue. I don't remember the last time I had lemon meringue pie. I'll have to get the cookbook out and check it against mom's recipe, if she still has it. There are probably so many errors in that cookbook that we haven't found yet, it gives me anxiety. I still have to fix the 2 teaspoons of salt or something in one of Nanette's recipes. Should have been 1/2 a teaspoon, or maybe it was tablespoons and it has to be teaspoons or something crazy salty like that.
Ammon, what a little sweetheart, he is such a good kid. I hope Oliver is like him!

plugalong said...

Don't have anxiety over the recipes. So far they have all worked out for me (better luck than with Kraft magazine).