Friday, September 15, 2006

Epiphany

As I was reading Alma 60 I felt like a lot of it could totally be applied to our time as far as government and country and/or individuals, so I thought I would share some tidbits. I am going to skip around the chapter and not bother with other references, you'll just have to read it yourself I guess...

...we desire to know the cause of this exceedingly great neglect; yea, we desire to know the cause of your thoughtless state. Can you think to sit upon your thrones in a state of thoughtless stupor, while your enemies are spreading the work of death around you?

...many have fought and bled out their lives because of their great desires which they had for the welfare of this people...

...ye ought to have stirred yourselvves more diligently for the welfare and the freedom of this people; but behold, ye have neglected them...

Behold, could ye suppose that ye could sit upon your thrones, and because of the exceeding goodness of God ye could do nothing and he would deliver you? Behold, if ye have supposed this ye have supposed in vain.

...the Lord suffereth the righteous to be slain that his justice and judgement may come upon the wicked; therefore ye need not suppose that the righteous are lost because they are slain; but behold they do enter into the rest of the Lord their God... I fear exceedingly that the judgments of God will come upon this people, because of their exceeding slothfulness, yea, even the slothfulness of our government...For were it not for the wickedness which first commenced at our head, we could have withstood our enemies that they could have gained no power over us.

...ye are in the heart of our country and ye are surrounded by security...do you suppose that the Lord will still deliver us, while we sit upon our thrones and do not make use of the means which the Lord has provided for us?

...So ye suppose that God will look upon you as guiltless while ye sit still and behold these things? Behold I say unto you, Nay.

...the inward vessel shall be cleansed first, and then shall the outer vessel be cleansed also.

...repent of that which ye have done, and begin to be up and doing...

I will leave the strength and the blessings of God upon them, that none other power can operate against them--And this because of their exceeding faith, and their patience in their tribulations--...behold, I do not fear your power nor your authority, but it is my God whom I fear...

...bestir yourselves in the defence of your country and your little ones...

Behold I wait for assistance from you...

...for behold, the Lord will not suffer that ye shall live and wax strong in your iniquities to destroy his righteous people. Behold, can you suppose that the Lord will spare you and come out in judgment against them...when it is the tradition of their fathers that has caused their hatred...while your iniquity is for the cause of your love of glory and the vain things of the world?

...If those whom ye have appointed your governors do not repent of their sins and iniquities, ye shall go up to battle against them...

And now behold, I am constrained, according to the covenant whichI have made to keep the commandments of my God; therefore I would that ye should adhere to the word of God...

I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country. (Amen. This should be the motto for our country don't you think?)

Funny that I didn't see it before.

1 comment:

megan said...

I've actually been thinking about some of those points, too. I'm doing a freelance job for someone that is writing a book, expanding on the whole idea of "if the world were a village" and it's been really thought-provoking (and guilt-infusing). So not exactly the same thing, but along similar lines.

I'm not much of a scripture studier, of late. Well, actually, ever. I'm impressed at your study and thought.