Monday, October 27, 2008

Recipes


Well I've been living a little lean lately and came up with some recipes based off other recipes depending on what I had on hand. I thought I would share some.




Pizza

1/2 recipe of Janice's Good Bread (makes 2 med. pizza's and 1 loaf, or 4 med pizza's I suppose)
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
cheese

Make bread dough according to directions. Spread thinly onto pan or cookie sheet in desired pizza shape. Spread with sauce and cover with cheese. [This time I used Monterey Jack and sprinkled it with Parmesan. Because that is what I had.] Bake at 425 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes (maybe longer if you use a cookie sheet, my pizza pans have holes in the bottom).




White Turkey Chili
1 lb. ground turkey, browned (sprinkle with chicken seasoning if you prefer, I did) - this is a lot more affordable than other meat these days, and it is low fat!
1 can corn
2 16 oz cans of Navy Beans (I used Bush's)
2 cups of chicken broth (I used 2 bullion cubes and 2 cups of water)
6 TBS olive oil
1/2 TBS onion powder
6 TBS flour
4 tsp ground cumin
Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)

Brown ground turkey. While it is cooking pour beans, chicken broth, and corn into a medium sauce pan, start heating to bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, flour, and seasonings. Add to sauce pan. Add turkey to the sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for ten minutes. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and/or salsa. We just used cheese, really good.

4 comments:

smellame said...

Yummy. The picture of the pizza is so delicious looking.I recently bought ground turkey for the same reasons. I tried making turkey burgers and didn't like them much, but I also made lasagna and it turned out pretty good. Also, do you think that for the pizza it would be ok to just use plain old cheddar cheese? I wonder also if it would work to pre-make and refrigerate and bake when I get home from Katie's? I get done at 7 which is Molly's bath then bed time, so if I don't have something ready, real dinner doesn't happen. Anyway, I hope someday I will be able to just throw something together like you!

plugalong said...

Definitely use plain old cheddar! You could add ground turkey too if you wanted. I was thinking of adding ground turkey sausage next time actually. Also, I bet you could make it before hand and refrigerate. Try it! As for throwing things together, I only started doing that a lot recently, and I still use other recipes, like the Turkey chili is from the Bush's can with things substituted that I thought might work. Mostly it works, however, every now and then I make something, ummm, interesting. Like once I made something with red wine vinegar instead of the red wine. Well, you could eat it, but you could also tell it would have been really good if it weren't so vinegary.
By the way, almost any soup recipe could be started earlier and left in a crock pot all day - I have also just thrown in random chicken pieces into the crock pot (frozen), left it there all day, and used it in snack wraps or barbeque sandwiches or whatever recipe needs cooked chicken.

smellame said...

thanks Monica!

megan said...

I'm with Melanie, I wish I could make delicious food for dinner on the fly, all courageous-like. That pizza looks really good. I'd love to try the turkey chili, too. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I've started the cinnamon rolls a couple of times only to find I'm missing something. Flour is a big problem. Heh. Or an hour behind or something. hee hee.