Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Miracle Buns


- no, no, this is not a miracle cure for saggy behinds. Sorry to get you all excited, but it happens to refer to food. By the way, the picture above was not staged. Lando was poking Stephen's belly and I happened to have a camera in hand...heh, heh.

Now, for the miracle:
1. I used yeast that was pretty old and I was unsure of it working in the first place.
2. I inadvertently dumped the milk in with the yeast and flour before it was warmed.
3. Yes, I persisted. I warmed the butter and water - o.k. boiled - impatiently let it cool (not long enough I am sure), and dumped it in with the rest.
Why did I keep going? I don't know. I have this thing with food.
It made me sick to throw it out, so thinking it would never work, I still made rolls, set them aside to raise, and wha-lah (is there really a word spelling for this term?) they did! Good thing too. I probably would have made everyone eat heavy, flat, unraised rolls if they hadn't. Anyway, this recipe (off of a bran cereal box, it is really good actually) makes fifteen rolls.
What a weird number. Muffin pans that are used for this only have 12 cups. Not wanting to bake twice I made the last three into a mini loaf that turned out really nice. I should have given it away because when you intend to share food it never turns out right.
I couldn't though. As soon as I put it in a basket Lando fell in love and it was his "Easter egg" (must have been one giant hen). And finally, the miracle buns enjoyed.

No comments: