Thursday, August 27, 2009

Where do you start?

troO.k. everyone, I want to pick your brains.
Syracuse has a lot of empty business realty out here, and I was thinking, it would be awesome if there was a quilt shop right here, so why not be the one to open one?
It could be really cute and have high quality material, maybe yarn too. We could offer classes in piecing and knitting, I know a couple people nearby who machine quilt for people, we could refer people to them. There is a quilt guild in Syracuse, so there are people who would possibly support our business if we do it right.
My question is, where to start? How do you turn this dream into a reality?
Our closest competition would be Sew and Save, JoAnn's and Hancock. JoAnn's is not a comfortable store to shop at near here, they are too small for their mechandise and they are all somewhat far away (as are the other two), so we would have to be competetive and/or very unique, and convenient. Also, I'm thinking we'd have to be very cute.
I guess the first thing to do would be to check out small material and yarn businesses along the wasatch front? Join their 'circle" (for like shop and hops- where we could also offer the nearby tourist attraction of Antelope Island/The Great Salt Lake), and I would want to be online for sure.
I am totally serious! Anyone out there that can help me turn this dream into a reality, before someone else does it here?

No comments: