Friday, June 13, 2008

So maybe a milk allergy?

Well, I had read about what foods to avoid to help gassy/fussy babies, one of them being dairy. I went without milk products for a couple of days and he did a lot better, still a bit gassy but not so it bothered him as much. Then yesterday I had pizza because I was so darn hungry (I never realized before how much of my diet is dairy - yogurt, cheese tortillas, grilled cheese, cereal, oatmeal, pizza, pasta sauces, ice cream...you get the idea), and last night he had a harder time again. He didn't cry for hours or anything colicky like that, but he was in pain and crying a lot worse until he got over some gas, then today he has had a bit of a hard time breathing. Yes that has happened before, but it would, so I was thinking, 'what, are we going to have our first case of asthma'? Then he had no problems for a couple of days, and lo and behold, today, after pizza, he has a problem (so his chest sucks in when he is trying to breathe, scary). I also had read, in that same magazine that this is one reaction to dairy when there is an allergy - not lactose intolerance, that is different.
Is there some way to test for this to see if I am right? I will have to look that up I guess.
Also, I've had some terrible back pain for about a week so that I couldn't stand up straight (picture an old lady, my entire upper body had to be bent forward with a deep bend in my legs and my right hip seemed off somehow), but today for an entire oh, half hour being up and about making some non-dairy sopapillas- because we are out of bread and eggs and I had to have something for breakfast- I didn't think once about walking funny, or about my aching back. I think it is working out. If I lay flat and am off of it for a while it improves immensely -for a while- so it has a lot to do with having no abdominal muscles and carrying a baby around I'm sure.

And a photo. Adria made this today- all her own idea and effort. Pretty cute!

5 comments:

What was I thinking said...

Come visit my blog.

smellame said...

It seems like I heard somewhere that there is a test they can do. Man, I think if it were me and he did in fact have the allergy, I would go to bottle feeding. Yes, I think I am that selfish. I don't think I could give up the dairy! The sucking in of his chest thing is scary. I hope everything works out okay. Molly's been having lots of boogers. Is that normal? I swear me and Ryan have chronic sinus infections and we've given her something. The board Adria made is totally cool. I need me some skills. Anyway, hope you are well!

megan said...

That is really scary! When Oliver had croup this winter, and he was trying to suck in air into his lungs, and I could see his skin sucking into his ribs, I nearly panicked. So that is scary.

I didn't eat dairy for the first 9 months or so of Olivers life, because I thought it kept him awake. I did eat yogurt when I had mastitis and was on an antibiotic, though. I wonder if there was something else that could be bothering him, though, like the tomato sauce or maybe there is a trace of peanuts or soy that it could be. Unfortunately I think you have to do the whole food diary thing and eliminate most allergy causing foods and replace them one by one to find out what it is. I think for a while all I was eating beef jerky and pancakes and oatmeal and rice because I was so paranoid! (heh, I just wanted to sleep so bad!)


I'm sorry about your back! What is that from? That sounds horrible, I hope it's not something chronic!

Alisa said...

There are several different tests for milk allergy, including blood tests, skin tests, and poo tests, to put it politely : )

However, many doctors considered the gold standard to be exactly what you are doing, trialing a dairy-free diet to see if it helps. Since the tests aren't always accurate, they find this to be the most reliable method in most circumstances. But check with your pediatrician of course! I'm not a doctor myself, just someone with intimate experience in milk allergies.

If you need any info, feel free to visit my website or email me with questions - http://www.godairyfree.org.

plugalong said...

I haven't been having dairy (except whatever may be in baked goods), and he really hasn't had a weird breathing episode, so...
Yah, if it is true I will probably not nurse the full year. I'm thinking I will still try 3 months at least, though. Also, he takes a bottle, and often I have to suplement because he is eating like every hour for a half an hour, and sometimes fusses until we offer him a bottle, after which he sleeps like a baby. I've found he seems to do well with a soy formula we have, and maybe a milk based formula with broken down protiens (which seems to me he may grow out of this).